Are you planning on adding the oyster mushrooms to your diet but are wondering what benefits they bring to the table?
Well, this comprehensive guide is the perfect resource for those just getting started with this amazing health food.
We will help you understand what the mushrooms do and how they can benefit your body.
Types of Oyster Mushrooms
There are six types of oyster mushrooms. Each type has a different flavor and appearance.
Oyster mushrooms can be found in many different environments, so it's important to know which type you're looking for when exploring your local mushroom garden or forest. However, you don’t have to worry about that if you purchase them at Xotic Mushrooms Melbourne.
Below are the main types:
- King oyster mushrooms: they’re often found in the Middle East, Asia, and sometimes in North Africa.
- Pink oyster mushrooms: they have a bright pink color that fades when exposed to heat.
- Phoenix oyster: even though they are small, these mushrooms look, feel, and taste like pearl oysters.
- Golden oyster
- Snow white oyster mushrooms
- Blue oyster
- Pearl oyster: Mostly found in North America.
What Are the Nutritional Values of Oyster Mushrooms and Benefits
Oyster mushrooms are a popular food item in many parts of the world. They’re also a great source of nutrients that give them the enormous health benefits they have when consumed, including vitamin D.
Let’s explore the nutritional value of oyster mushrooms.
To start with, Oyster mushrooms are high in protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. They also provide a healthy balance of omega-3 fatty acids and D vitamins.
- They have Niacin that almost every human body cell requires to metabolize other nutrients.
- It has Vitamin D, a rare vitamin to find in food products other than sunlight.
- Oyster mushrooms are also a good source of iron that red blood cells require.
These delicious fungi boast 28 calories per one-cup, 1g fat, 12% of your recommended iron intake, 2g dietary fiber, and 3g protein.
Not to forget, oyster mushrooms contain 8% of the following important nutrients; Potassium, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, B Vitamins, Folic acid (folate), Riboflavin, Pantothenic acid, and Amino acids.
What Are the Health Benefits of Oyster Mushrooms?
Oyster mushrooms can help improve your health by providing you with many benefits such as:
- Increased cognitive function
- Improved heart health
- Better digestion
- Reduced risk of chronic diseases
- Reduction in stress levels
- Improved sleep quality
- Building strong bones
- Regulating cholesterol levels in the body
- Anti-cancer properties
- May posses potential anti-tumor properties
- Gut health benefits
In addition to their medical properties, oyster mushrooms can also provide a delicious and healthy snack option if eaten in moderation.
Oyster mushrooms have Beta-glucans, a type of carbohydrates that can help to provide energy and give you the feeling of fullness. They can also help to regulate blood sugar levels.
The vitamin D present in Oyster mushrooms helps lower blood pressure by releasing chemicals that reduce stress levels. They lower blood pressure by reducing anxiety, improving mood, and reducing inflammation.
What to Look for When Buying Oyster Mushrooms.
When buying oyster mushrooms, it is important to look for a variety of features, including the size and shape of the mushrooms, their color, and whether they are fresh or frozen. In addition, it is also important to check whether the mushrooms are organic or not.
Ways to Incorporate Oyster Mushrooms Into Your Diet
If you're a fan of oyster mushrooms, there are some ways to incorporate them into your diet that may be helpful. Here are three ideas:
- Roast them in the oven.
- Chop and add them to sauces and gravy.
- Eat them as part of a gestational diet when you're pregnant. Oyster mushrooms help with the growth and development of the baby's tissues.
- Use them in place of soy sauce in your stir-fry recipes. Soy sauce can have harmful effects on the fetus, so using oyster mushrooms instead can be beneficial.
- Add them to your soup or stews for an added flavor boost.
- Cook and add them to pasta and grain dishes.
Eating Oyster Mushrooms can have a variety of benefits for your health. By understanding their meaning for diet, health, and wellness, you can make the best choices to ensure that you enjoy good health while consuming these mushrooms.
As with any supplement or food product, it is important to consult a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement regimen or taking any new supplements if you have ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MEDICATIONS OR SUPPLEMENTS YOU ARE taking.