Since the discovery of lion's mane mushrooms, these fungi have become one of the planet's most popular and sought-after wild edibles.
They're found primarily in North America and Europe but can also grow in Australia, China and Japan.
However, where exactly can you get them in Australia? What health benefits do they have, and how do you prepare them for consumption?
Read on to learn more!
Where Can I Find Lion's Mane Mushrooms for Sale Online?
If you're looking for lion's mane mushrooms to purchase online, you can find them at Xotic Mushrooms Melbourne. The company sells both fresh and dried lion's Mane mushrooms, as well as a variety of other exotic mushroom products. Whether you're in the market for a single mushroom or an entire collection, Xotic Mushrooms has what you need.
Lion's Mane mushrooms are a popular choice for mushroom hunters and chefs alike, and they're not just for those who like to cook. These mushrooms offer a unique flavor and texture that can be difficult to find in other varieties.
What Are Lion's Mane Mushrooms?
Lion's Mane mushrooms are a coveted ingredient for chefs as these fungi boast a rich flavor and extravagant appearance.
They grow on the underside of morels, similarly prized for their flavor and delicate texture. Lion's manes are white when fresh and brown or creamy when dry, with a downy surface up to 2 inches wide.
They have a characteristic spiny cap and are often used in medicine.
Health Benefits of Lion's Mane Mushrooms
The health benefits of lion's mane mushrooms are wide-ranging and include:
- Improved brain health: Lion's mane mushrooms contain high levels of antioxidants, which have been shown to help protect the brain from damage caused by free radicals. They have also reduced the risk of cognitive decline and Alzheimer's disease.
- Immune system support: they support the immune system, helping to keep your body healthy against infections. They help to boost the body's defense against cancer and improve overall immunity.
- Cardiovascular health: Cardiovascular health is improved by including the lion's mane in one's diet due to its ability to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
- Energy levels relief: Energy levels are also greatly aided by consuming lion's mane, as it boosts energy that lasts throughout the day.
- Helps with mild symptoms of depression and anxiety: These mushrooms have been shown to increase serotonin levels, a chemical in the brain responsible for mood regulation.
- Protects against ulcers in the digestive tract: Lastly, they help protect against ulcers in the digestive tract, reducing inflammation, and improving heart health. Lion's Mane mushrooms also contain compounds that have anti-cancer properties.
How Can I Prepare Lion's Mane Mushrooms for Consumption?
Here are some tips on how to prepare them for consumption:
- Lion's Mane Mushroom
- Olive oil
- Butter (optional)
- Garlic powder
- Soy sauce
- First, remove the stems and any visible bruises or blemishes.
- Secondly, cut the mushrooms into thin slices and then sauté in a lightly oiled skillet over medium heat for two minutes until they start to brown and release their natural aroma.
- Finally, add garlic powder and soy sauce, then season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
One way to enjoy Lion's Mane Mushrooms is to serve them as a side dish or throw them on toasted bread with mayo as a sandwich.
Also, you can cook it in a stir fry or make vegan crab cakes. There are plenty of recipes available in any way you choose to enjoy Lion's Mane Mushroom.
Checkout our full recipe on The Lion's Mane Mushroom Taco Recipe That Will Delight Your Taste Buds!
Is There Any Danger in Consuming Lion's Mane Mushrooms?
There is no clear evidence that consuming lion's mane mushrooms pose any danger when taken by mouth.
However, some people may experience mild gastrointestinal side effects, such as stomach discomfort and nausea, when taking lion's mane mushrooms for the first time. Still, these reactions are typically mild and should subside after a few days.
How to Spot a Quality Lion's Mane Mushroom?
The key to spotting a quality lion's mane mushroom is to look for low levels of starch and high levels of beta-glucans. Starch is a carbohydrate found in most plants, while beta-glucans are cell wall polysaccharides unique to mushrooms.
These two factors indicate that the mushroom has been appropriately cultivated, which means it has been grown in clean and healthy conditions.
If the mushrooms look dry or brittle, they will not taste as good as they could.
In addition, look for those that are brightly colored and have a firm texture. Take note of the cap shape and size - larger caps mean higher quality.
If you're looking for a wild and exotic mushroom experience, Xotic Mushrooms Melbourne is the place to go. You can pick up some of Australia's most sought-after lion's manes here at the city's infamous harvest markets.
We harvest our mushrooms daily, so you'll be sure that the mushroom you're buying is fresh.