Mushroom Toast Recipe
Wake up to the invigorating aroma and taste of our gourmet Mushroom Toast.
Perfect for those mornings when you're seeking something a little more upscale than your usual fare but without the fuss.
Combining the earthy flavors of shiitake mushrooms, the peppery zest of arugula, and the soft richness of ricotta, this toast promises a sensory journey.
Topped with a delicate sprinkle of toasted nuts and aromatic herbs, it's a delightful balance between rustic charm and modern sophistication.
100 grams shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Handful of arugula (about 30 grams)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large slice toasted sourdough (about 70 grams)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk ricotta or vegan ricotta (30 grams) (optional)
- Zest of half a lemon
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Fresh thyme, rosemary, or parsley (optional)
Begin by cleaning the mushrooms using a damp cloth. Slice them uniformly to ensure even cooking. Mince the garlic clove and set aside. Toast pine nuts in a dry pan over low heat until golden, then set aside.
In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once warm, add the minced garlic and let it sizzle for about 30 seconds, ensuring it doesn’t brown or burn.
Introduce the sliced mushrooms to the skillet. Season with salt, pepper, and the fresh herbs of your choice. Stir and let them cook for about 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and slightly golden.
Once the mushrooms are cooked, turn off the heat and add the arugula. Mix gently, allowing the residual heat to wilt the arugula slightly.
Spread the ricotta over the toasted sourdough slice. Layer the mushroom and arugula mix on top.
Garnish with lemon zest, a pinch of red pepper flakes, and the toasted pine nuts. Finish with a light drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of lemon for added freshness.
- You can substitute shiitake mushrooms with cremini, portobello, or oyster mushrooms.
- For those seeking a spicier kick, consider adding chopped jalapeños or a spicy hot sauce.
- If you’re using vegan ricotta, double-check the nutritional information as it may differ slightly.
As you take that final bite, savor the harmonious blend of flavors and textures this toast brings to your plate.
Whether you're starting your day with it or treating yourself to a midday snack, this Mushroom Toast stands as a testament to the beauty of simple ingredients coming together in an extraordinary way.
Next time you're in the mood for a culinary treat without the hours in the kitchen, remember this recipe and indulge once more.
- per serving
- 3 grams
- 350 milligrams
- 45 grams
- 15 grams
- 15 milligrams
- 18 grams