Mushroom Chorizo Sage Tart
Appetizer / Main Course
The rich tapestry of culinary delights often lies in the art of marrying distinct flavors to create a harmonious palate.
The humble mushroom, with its earthy tones, can be elevated to gourmet standards when combined with the right partners.
Add in the robust smokiness of chorizo and the fragrant allure of sage, and you have a dish that speaks of comfort, sophistication, and an unforgettable gastronomic experience.
Our Mushroom, Chorizo, and Sage Tart does just that. It's not just a meal; it's a story on a plate, one that resonates with the culinary traditions of rustic Europe but with a contemporary flair.
375g golden (yellow) oyster mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 x 375g sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 chorizo sausage (about 100g), casing removed, torn into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 100g mature cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6-8 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat the Oven:
Begin by preheating your oven to 200°C (392°F). This will ensure even and accurate cooking of the tart.
Prepare the Pastry:
Lay out the thawed puff pastry on a large oven tray lined with baking paper. With a sharp knife, lightly score a 2cm border around the edges, creating a framed look.
This border will puff up during baking, providing a nice crust. To avoid excessive puffing in the center, prick it all over with a fork.
Cook the Chorizo:
In a medium-sized skillet or frypan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is shimmering, add the torn chorizo pieces.
Sauté them until they're lightly golden, which should take about 2 minutes. Once done, transfer the chorizo to a plate, leaving the oils and juices in the pan.
Sauté the Mushrooms:
In the same pan with the residual chorizo oil, add the sliced mushrooms and minced garlic. The mushroom will soak up the chorizo flavor, enhancing its taste.
Sauté the mixture for approximately 4-5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft and have a nice golden hue.
Season with salt and pepper according to your preference, then remove from heat.
Assemble the Tart:
Evenly spread the shredded cheddar cheese over the central part of the puff pastry, ensuring you're still leaving the previously scored border untouched.
Next, distribute the sautéed mushrooms and golden chorizo pieces over the cheese. Sprinkle the roughly chopped sage leaves across the top for that aromatic touch.
Apply Egg Wash:
Gently brush the scored borders of the puff pastry with the lightly beaten egg. This will give the crust a lovely golden shine once baked.
Slide the tray into the preheated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes.
The tart is ready when the cheese is bubbly and melted, the crust is a rich golden brown, and the base of the pastry is cooked through and crisp.
Allow the tart to cool slightly before cutting it into servings. Enjoy while warm!
Pair with a fresh green salad, dressed in a lemony vinaigrette, for a balanced and fulfilling meal.
- Puff Pastry: When working with puff pastry, always keep it chilled. If it becomes too warm, it can become sticky and difficult to handle. If needed, return it to the fridge for a few minutes to firm up before continuing.
- Mushroom Variety: While any mushroom variety will work, consider using a mix of shiitake, button, and cremini mushrooms for a deeper flavor profile.
- Chorizo Substitute: If chorizo is unavailable or you're looking for a milder option, spicy Italian sausage can be a good substitute.
- Fresh Sage: Always opt for fresh sage over dried. The flavor is more vibrant and will give the tart a fresher, more aromatic taste.
- Cheese Variation: While mature cheddar provides a sharp, tangy contrast, feel free to experiment with cheeses like Gruyère, Emmental, or even mozzarella for a milder flavor.
- Storing Leftovers: If you have any leftovers, store the tart in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in the oven (not the microwave) to retain the pastry's crispness when serving again.
In the realm of culinary art, the beauty often lies in simplicity. Through our Mushroom, Chorizo, and Sage Tart, we've journeyed through a sensory landscape that celebrates rich flavors and timeless combinations.
Whether it graces your table as an appetizer or the star main course, this tart promises not just to feed the body, but also to delight the soul.
Remember, the joy of cooking doesn't just lie in tasting the final product but in the journey of creating, experimenting, and sharing. So, roll out that pastry, and let's embark on many more flavor-filled journeys together!
- per serving
- 2 grams
- 800 milligrams
- 25 grams
- 12 grams
- 60 milligrams
- 30 grams