Beef Mushroom Hand Pies
Delve into the world of savory pastries with our delectable Beef Mushroom Hand Pies recipe. An exquisite blend of hearty beef and earthy mushrooms wrapped in a golden, flaky crust promises a culinary experience like no other.
Whether you're hosting a gathering, looking for a comforting weekend bake, or simply craving a mouthwatering snack, this recipe is set to be a star in your kitchen.
250g blue oyster mushrooms, finely chopped
- 250g beef mince
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 beef stock cube
- 120ml water
- 120ml tomato sauce
- ½ tbsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 6 sheets frozen shortcrust pastry, thawed (approximately 500g in total)
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 tsp dried thyme, for garnishing
Start by setting your oven to 180℃. Prepare two baking trays by lining them with parchment paper.
Prepare the Filling:
In a large frying pan, warm the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onions and crushed garlic, cooking until they're translucent, usually taking 2-3 minutes.
Incorporate the chopped mushrooms and beef mince into the pan. Ensure to break the mince apart with your utensil and cook until it's browned and fully cooked, about 3-4 minutes.
Mix in the beef stock cube, water, tomato sauce, and thyme. Stir thoroughly until the stock cube is dissolved. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer, allowing it to thicken for about 5 minutes.
Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
Prepare the Pastry:
Lay out the thawed pastry sheets on a clean, flat surface. From three sheets, use a plain circle cutter to carve out 16 rounds.
For the remaining sheets, use a scalloped cutter to get another set of 16 rounds.
Assemble the Hand Pies:
Place the plain pastry rounds on your lined baking trays.
Spoon a generous portion of the beef-mushroom filling onto the center of each plain pastry round.
Lightly brush the edges of the pastry with the whisked egg, then cover with the scalloped pastry rounds. Press down gently on the edges to seal the pies.
For a glossy finish, brush the top of each pie with the remaining whisked egg and sprinkle with the additional thyme.
Place the trays in the preheated oven and bake the pies for about 20 minutes or until they've achieved a golden-brown hue.
Once baked, remove from the oven and let them sit for 5 minutes to cool slightly before serving.
- Pastry Selection: While this recipe uses shortcrust pastry, feel free to experiment with puff pastry for a lighter, airier texture.
- Mushroom Varieties: Different mushrooms offer varied flavors. Portobello mushrooms give a richer taste, while button mushrooms are milder. Mix and match to find your favorite combo!
- Freezing: These hand pies freeze well. Store them in an airtight container and bake from frozen, adding a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
- Vegetarian Option: For a meat-free version, replace beef with lentils or a meat substitute, adjusting cooking times accordingly.
- Spice It Up: If you prefer a little kick, consider adding a dash of chili flakes or a splash of hot sauce to the filling during the seasoning step.
- Serving Suggestion: These pies pair wonderfully with a side of chutney, a green salad, or a dipping sauce of your choice. Experiment with flavors to enhance the dining experience!
In the realm of hand pies, our Beef Mushroom variant undoubtedly stands out.
Its perfect balance of rich, savory flavors and the crispy pastry exterior ensures every bite is a delightful surprise.
As versatile as they are delicious, these pies can fit seamlessly into any meal of the day or stand alone as a satisfying snack. Happy baking and even happier eating!
- per serving
- 2 grams
- 250 milligrams
- 20 grams
- 8 grams
- 20 milligrams
- 12 grams